CHOWDER from bonac.com
For authentic Bonacker chowder, the ingredients should be ground as directed. If you do not have a meat grinder or grinder attachment for your electric mixer, mince them finely with a knife.
18 (about 1/2 peck) fresh chowder clams
1. Rinse clams thoroughly and open over a colander set over a bowl; set clams aside and reserve juices
2. In large, soup pot or pan, brown salt pork or bacon
3. Grind onions, potatoes, carrots and celery in grinder or mince fine by hand
4. Add ground vegetables to browned salt pork and mix
5. Strain opened clams through a sieve into a large measuring cup. Liquid should equal 2 to 4 cups. Add enough water to make 6 cups. Add vegetable mixture and simmer on medium heat for about 1 hour
6. Put clams through meat grinder or mince by hand and add to chowder
7. Crush or chop tomatoes and add to chowder
8. Add thyme, pepper and seafood seasoning. Simmer 15 minutes. Makes 15 (1-cup) servings.